Trial and Error

A little something...Thoughts, inspirations, moments in time. Hints, glimpses, windows into what is. Life as I am living it. All work copyright 2006 by Ranya Mike.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Portland, Oregon, United States

From trial and error to guesswork, my life is a work in progress. Practice is key, and love the main ingredient. The journey is long, but the way is right. Time is endless, but here is where I make it stop. Memories are for the making.

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Julie and Julia - a book I was reading

So there is this Julie/Julia book that I was reading. Well I am done reading it, and by done reading it I do not mean that I have finished it but that I have finished reading it. I have decided not to read it any longer than I have, that I have invested enough time and energy flipping through it pages and that it was not worth more of my time, or energy. So I put it down and mailed it on to my mother-in-law who wants to check it out as well. Despite that, however, I would certainly not place it on my "favorite" list, nor would I recommend it to others for reading - not unless you had absolutely nothing better to do with your life and had a few bucks you wanted to get rid of, or if you could get it for free from the public library (an option I had not looked into).

Well when I first got the book I was so hyped up about it, it was like the best book I had picked up all year (which is not entirely true since I had read this other wonderful book earlier this year called Delicious, which I do recommend and whose sequel my mother-in-law bought for me when she was here in DC visiting with Jeff and my mother and I). So the first chapters of the book were interesting and were an easy read, so much so that I talked about the book to everyone I know. I thought that this book was going to be my inspiration and that if the author could do it so could I. I almost idealized her, and even went to her book signing (granted my mother and I left before we got a chance to have her sign my book, but hey at least I spent some time listening to her read from the book and actually made a point of checking her out). So this was my motivational book for a while until I came to. I realised that while what she was doing - the Project - was a really neat idea, the way she wrote about it and hence the way she wrote her book, was (for lack of a better term at this point, do not forget English is my second language) nasty.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home