Trial and Error

A little something...Thoughts, inspirations, moments in time. Hints, glimpses, windows into what is. Life as I am living it. All work copyright 2006 by Ranya Mike.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Portland, Oregon, United States

From trial and error to guesswork, my life is a work in progress. Practice is key, and love the main ingredient. The journey is long, but the way is right. Time is endless, but here is where I make it stop. Memories are for the making.

Saturday, May 20, 2006

on children

"this is for all mothers, and futures mothers, out there. some of you have learned this the hard way and some are yet to learn...."

"And a woman who held a babe against her bosom
said, Speak to us of Children.
And he said:

Your children are not your children.
They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you,
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.

You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow.
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
You may strive to be like them, but seek not to make them like you.
For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.
You are the bows from which your children as living arrows are sent forth.
The Archers sees the mark upon the path of the infinite, and HE bends you with His might that His arrows may go swift and far.
Let your bending in the Archer's hand be for gladness;
For even as He loves the arrow that flies, so He loves also the bow that is stable."

Gubran Khalil Gubran- The Prophet

4 Comments:

Blogger Margie said...

That is beautiful. I've read that somewhere before. What's the source of this "poem."

Absolutely beautiful and something I'd like to remember as I raise my daughter. Thanks for posting it!

6:51 PM  
Blogger Ranya said...

Margie,
I had forgotten to put the source. It is from Gubran Khalil Gubran's book The Prophet.
Thanks for visiting my site and do stay in touch.
Ranya

8:40 PM  
Blogger susanne said...

Thanks too for posting that text!
Yes, it is the one I know since long years and I love these words...
They are so true.

3:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that Khalil was a great man, regardless of some people that call him a psycho. These are wise words from somebody that sees things we do not, Thanks Rayna. You know your stuff

3:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home