Trial and Error

A little something...Thoughts, inspirations, moments in time. Hints, glimpses, windows into what is. Life as I am living it. All work copyright 2006 by Ranya Mike.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Portland, Oregon, United States

From trial and error to guesswork, my life is a work in progress. Practice is key, and love the main ingredient. The journey is long, but the way is right. Time is endless, but here is where I make it stop. Memories are for the making.

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Diary of a tomato plant

I do not know how old I really am, so I am just going to say I am One Day old. Although Jeff and Ranya brought me home two Saturdays ago, I remained sitting in my confined little pot until this morning when Ranya finally moved me to my new home and that is why I am going to call this Day One.

I think one reason why it took the Mikes so long to move me was because my new home was not ready yet. But then you would think how hard can it be to make me a bed of potting soil and water it? It might not be that difficult but Ranya and Jeff are busy people and they had been taking road trips away from the city the past couple of weeks, so it took them a while to get back to the gardening store and get another bag of potting mix.

Two Saturdays ago, the Mikes went to Amish country in Pennsylvania and Ranya got to see real Amish people. They were different, she thought, and she was very surprised to realize that they do, in fact, ride buggies to places they wanted to go. That was very interesting, she thought, and she was glad to have experienced the sights, the sounds and the smells of a different place. Jeff, too, was happy to get out of the city where it is busy and loud. It is important for him to get away from it all every once in a while and the road trip was refreshing.

Last Sunday, which also happened to be Jeff’s birthday, they drove to Rehoboth beach in Delaware. While it may not have been the prettiest, it was the closest to their domicile. They had had a late start, while with having breakfast at Leopold’s and all, so they wanted to go somewhere relatively close. The drive was again enjoyable up until they arrived closer to the beach where they hit a horrible traffic jam. As soon as they found a parking spot (which they paid $10 for) and turned pedestrian, they unwound and had a good time. On their way back home they took a pit stop at some friends’ house in Annapolis, had a barbecue dinner and then returned home, exhausted and smelly! Why, it was almost 90degrees that day and they were out in the car and the sun all day.

So now that the weekend is over I am finally settled. I know I am going to get plenty of sun and I know that Ranya will come back and visit and water me often. I just hope I get pruned regularly to stay healthy and pretty and bear fruit.

2 Comments:

Blogger susanne said...

Really nice story :-)

I've had some tomato plants too some years ago on my balcony. Unfortunately they didn't stay healthy and the leaves soon got brown and dry.
Though the tomatoes later have been very good!!

1:54 PM  
Blogger Ranya said...

Tomatoes are one of my favorite veggies. But it is rather difficult to grow them on your own. The tomato plant we had last year did not do so well. But we decided to try again - let's see how this one does!

12:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home