Trial and Error

A little something...Thoughts, inspirations, moments in time. Hints, glimpses, windows into what is. Life as I am living it. All work copyright 2006 by Ranya Mike.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Portland, Oregon, United States

From trial and error to guesswork, my life is a work in progress. Practice is key, and love the main ingredient. The journey is long, but the way is right. Time is endless, but here is where I make it stop. Memories are for the making.

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Diary of a tomato plant - part 2

So I have been in my new home for a week. During this time Ranya visited me once and watered me once. Jeff, on the other hand, did not stop by to say hi but rather looked at me from a distance - from the comforts of the couch. My flowers are growing though I am not gaining much height yet. Although I am a little jealous of my other plant friends, I do like their company, especially in the dark night and when I hear police and fire sirens. Sirens scare me, but I feel safe behind the railings on the 11th floor.

The reason I am jealous from my plant friends is because they seem to get more attention from Ranya than I do. She constantly waters the Mint and Jeff comes out and cuts off some stems for their salads and sandwiches. I know that they like Mint in their Labneh sandwiches and Jeff likes it in Tabbouleh. This morning, Ranya harvested the remaining of the Parsley that she had planted a while ago. Now, we are going to be without parsley for a while - at least until the new shoots come out; Ranya had planted some new seeds some few days ago but parsley takes a long time to get started. The Basil is still alive, although I do not think that it is doing so well. I heard Ranya saying that if the Basil does not show progress soon she is going to have to get another one. Of course it would be great to have one more companion, but I do not know if that means that the present Basil is going to be thrown out or if they are going to keep it.

The newest sprouts on the block are the Rocca. Well actually, you can say that they are the oldest on the block if you wanted to be totally accurate; that is because the present Rocca is the second growth and they are already making their way out towards the sun. Ranya actually imported the Rocca seeds from Beirut knowing very well that they do not exist in the US. Now, she and Jeff are very happy with the results and with the wonderful Rocca and Onion salads they have. Ranya also imported another Lebanese herb - Rcheed- but Jeff preferred the Rocca so now the long black planter is housing only that. There also were some Radishes at one time, but those were also eaten - enjoyed alongside fried fish and baba ghannouj.

The weather has been nice lately, not too hot and not rainy either. Although there is current talk of thunderstorms I do not think those will materialize. They have been talking about these for a while now but all the excitement is for nothing. Every night I muster my courage against the thunder and the lightening but my energy goes to waste. So, tonight I am not going to make a big deal out of it. I really do not fear much for myself because my pot is low on the ground and away from the railings. I fear for the Mint and the Rocca the most because they are placed on high shelves and they are very close to the railings. They do not seem too scared, though, and I think that is because they carry enough of their own which makes them feel safe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home